Wednesday, October 12, 2005

high five for...

chick-fil-a!

i've always been a fan of chick-fil-a, but today the restaurant made my day.

after class this evening i had about an hour before i had to be somewhere. i was hungry and decided on chick-fil-a. i decided to park and go inside since i wasn't in a hurry and because i was going to use my debit card. it was definitely not crowded. nice young lady took my order, smiling the whole time. i took out my debit card and was informed that their server was down, so they could only accept cash or checks. well i told her to cancel my order then b/c i didn't have any cash or my checkbook. the young manager was standing there. he said, "don't worry about it." voided my order and handed me the food and drink. huh? free food? something isn't right. he said that it wasn't my fault that their server was down, and that i therefore didn't have the means to pay for the food. nice fellow. i was bound and determined to pay for the food, for some reason it just didn't seem right. i said, "i know it is going to come out of someone's pocket." then i offered to bring some money tomorrow. he said they would look at me like i was an idiot. well, truth be told, i was already feeling pretty stupid. .... at the last second, i realized that i had paid my bills at work today and therefore by checkbook was in the car. i ran to the car then paid with a check. whew! the manager and girl thought i was crazy. they just kept laughing at me!

this manager was by far the most...let's see, dedicated that i have ever seen. at one point in the conversation, he pointed to a picture on the wall of the founder and said, "that is what he would want." most managers i have come across, would just cancel the order and not try help you out. i would rather him have the chance to give some free food to someone who deserves it, someone who truly has no money and was hungry. that wasn't me. made my day!

moral of the story: carry cash, be generous, be thankful.

"Nearly every moment of every day we have the opportunity to give something to someone else-our time, our love, our resources. I have always found more joy in giving when I did not expect anything in return." — Quote from "Eat Mor Chikin: Inspire More People" by S. Truett Cathy

this event has been encouraging to me, seriously. b/c for the last couple of weeks i have thinking about how we, the things crawling on the earth, are mean, rude, selfish, unloving people. reminds me that not are that way.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

chattanooga, but he's also coming to Samford in Birmingham 2 days later, the 21st i think. try to go!!!

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. where's my high five?

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home