Wednesday, June 09, 2004

ha ha ha

so i have not learned wolof in a grammatically correct manner, english either for that matter. erin and ben speak wolof beautifully and correctly. i speak much less than they do, but i butcher the language. for example, rather than saying: i am going to go talk with your mother, i said: i went to talk yo mama. to talk is wax, so i literally said: wax yo mama! in wax the x is pronounced like a k sound! funny to everyone! but the people pretty much always understand what i am trying to say!

yesterday i was taxing the volunteer team back to their housing and was pulled over twice within one mile on the way. the first police man did not even check the taxi mans permit, rather he just talked with me the whole time! mom and granny,you are right to say: just smile and look pretty. it definitely helped me out last night when he kept asking me where i lived and all kind of other things. the conversation ended with: rafet na or youre beautiful! ha ha

in the french grocery store yesterday, lisa asked the french lady in wolof: how much is this! she doesnt speak wolof lisa!

i got my hair braided again. its huge and down my back. funny looking...

my senegalese mother says she does not know how to repay me for going to visit her at the fish market on monday, she is so thankful! and yesterday my translator told me that she saw her in march and that Awa kept asking when i was coming back to see her! oh how i love that family, but oh how much more God loves them!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home